Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Co-Sleepers of the World Unite! And Then Blow Me!

It's not that I have anything against co-sleeping or people who do so. In fact, I kind of dig the concept. It's just that my kids don't. And in order for it to work, everyone has to be on board.

We are currently firmly ensconced in the Pittsburgh. My mom and dad's place, to be exact. Me and the kids came for an impromptu weekend visit. Then, sadly, on Monday SOB's grandmother passed away. He's coming in tonight and we'll all be here through the end of the week.

The trouble is this: there are only three bedrooms in my parents' house. One for them, one for us, and one left over for kid/kids. Since Lucy goes to bed so much earlier than Sam, trying to sleep them in the same room would be difficult to disastrous. So Sam's been getting his own room and Lucy and I have been bunking together.

But as of this morning, I am officially finished. I would rather have Sam sleeping with his feet on my face then share a room with the world's lightest sleeping baby. If I so much as scratch an itch or turn over, the cries of protest begin almost immediately. Last night she woke up when I came in to bed, which was no surprise, but then she started crying at 4 and didn't stop until 6. Because I decided I was warm and discarded some blankets. I nursed her, held her, nursed her again, rocked her, left her alone. Nothing helped with the wailing. Everyone in the house but Sam was wide awake. Thank god he takes after his father in the sleep department, in that he sleeps like a log.

If she's this bad with just me in the room, I can't imagine how awful it would be with SOB in there too. He snores, turns, farts. You know, loud men things. So tonight we're giving her her own room and Sam will be bunking with us.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I may very well end up heading back to Philly without my kids if this keeps up.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

High Heeled Mama said...

Our guy won't co-sleep either. Fine with me 99% of the time, but on the road...it would be nice if we could get him to sleep ANYWHERE. Now that he's figured out it's fun to crawl out of the pack and play we bring, I don't think we'll be sleeping away from home again. I feel you! Good luck and so sorry about SOB's grandmother.

Tracey said...

I hear ya! I have learned to bunk w/the kid who sleeps through anything. Put him to sleep on the bed, then make a bed for him on the floor out of blankets and such and transfer when you go to bed. Works for us.