Friday, December 05, 2008

You Can Be a Winner at the Game of Life!

Growing up we routinely had game night/day. Card games like crazy eights, dice games like yahtzee, and every board game you can even imagine. Checkers, Parcheesi, Monopoly, Clue, backgammon, and Life.


Ah, The Game of Life

I remember a snow storm, sometime in the late eighties or early nineties. It was a doozie and the schools were closed for at least a few days. Digging out was slow going, and my family passed the time playing games. At first we were having a blast. Hot cocoa with marshmallows and a rousing round of scrabble. But by day four, everyone was getting a little tense. My mother pulled out the big box which contained The Game of Life and we all gathered around the table. 

From the get go, I was screwed. I got the lowest salary and seemed to land on every space that required me to give away my money. Finally, I made it to the end and I decided to risk it all. I decided to spin to become the millionaire tycoon. I picked 7.

The dial landed on 6.

In a barely audible whisper I said. 'damn.' I wasn't even ten years old yet, and somehow this curse word slipped from my lips as if I were a salty septuagenarian sailor. My brother's eyes grew as wide as saucers. I looked down, knowing I was done for. But much to my surprise, my parents erupted with laughter. Shocked, and a little angry, I repeated myself in full voice. And still, they laughed. Eventually I stormed off to my room, and after a few hours we were all back to normal. 

Thankfully the weather warmed up the next day, otherwise who knows what profanities would have slipped over my nine-year old lips.

--

The post was brought to you by EA Games and The Parent Bloggers Network. Click on over to PBN to read all of the details if you want to play along!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

I wanted that game for my Year 10 maths class. I wonder if you can still get it?
My mum washed my mouth out with soap for calling my sister a pig. Talk about over reactions.