Thursday, June 09, 2011

A Pox Upon My House

I'm not one of those mothers who rush their children off to the doctor's office with every little sniffle. Most of the time when my kids are sick, they just get better after a few days. However, there are those occasions when after a few days they don't get better. And then I'm faced with a decision: do I take them to the pediatrician only to be told that there is nothing wrong with them and they'll be better in a few days, or do I wait an additional few days until they are surely sicker than initially thought and feel guilty about waiting too long to take them to the doctor?


As you can probably guess, this isn't a hypothetical situation. Just before we left for vacation Sam started coughing, and he hasn't really stopped since. Then last tuesday Maggie's nose began flowing with a river of snot so unending that we went through almost every single roll of vacation toilet paper wiping her nose. Naturally Lucy and Freddie followed suit, though with less severity.

Photobucket
Evidence of snotty nose and abundant cuteness.

This morning I set my alarm and trucked all four kids to the doctor's office, and 45 minutes later I left with SEVEN prescriptions. Sam, Fred and Lucy all have sinus infections, and Maggie has a raging ear infection.

And I feel like mother of the effing year. Luckily for all of us, each kid only has to take medication once a day for five days. I'll take any silver lining I can get at this point!

Photobucket
Gratuitous baby photo is the best remedy!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

Babe! Miserable :-(
You are not alone in this 'when is the time to go' thing. My mother is famous for not taking my sister to the doctor until she had a ruptured, gangrenous appendix and for neglecting my broken thumb for a week (although one may be more serious than the other)....
The thing is, you are right in that most of the time it is viral and they can't do much for it......taking their temps is the only really indicative ting you can do. Hope all are feeling MUCH improved. (and remember..what doesn't kill us makes us stronger!)