Thursday, April 04, 2013

How To Get That "Perfect" Family Photo!

As a photographer, I frequently get asked how I manage to get photos of my family where all six of us look nice. Well, let me be the first to tell you it's a cinch! All you need is a large rambunctious family, a nice setting and someone to push the shutter button for you!

IF ONLY!

I have my own photography business, and even I have major trouble getting my whole brood to take a nice photo. See below for a fine example of a family photo shoot gone wrong:


























1: Child 1 is picking his nose
2: Child 2 is chewing very blue gum
3: Child 3 is looking at someone/something off in the distance
4: Child 4 is just not having it and wants down NOW

Ironically, mom and dad look great! 

Luckily, we realized quite quickly that this was not the right time for a photo, so we let the kids run around for a bit and then regrouped. That, I think, is the key when dealing with kids in photos. Give them time, and don't try to force things. You'll just end up with gum in your hair photo. 


























With a little help from dear Pappy, and some time, we had a mostly cooperative bunch. Is this the best family photo we've ever taken? No. Maggie looks stoned and Lucy is looking at her butt. Sam is making a weird face and Fred isn't smiling. Again, mom and dad look great. But overall it's a much more pleasing shot that the first one, isn't it now? 

Oh, and get some photoshop so you can digitally open eyes or switch heads when necessary! 


























Or to simply amuse your friends and family.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

Gotta say you are looking STUNNING! Except in the last shot. LMAO