Friday, May 24, 2013

Homesteading

The past few weeks have been a little quiet around here, but now that school is out for the girls, I should be able to get back to posting more regularly. The problem is that I spend the few precious hours I have while Fred is napping tending to my green babies.


The weather we've been having here has been bizarre, cold then hot and then cold again. We've had a few freeze warnings and we even have a frost warning tonight, on MAY 24TH! In the above photo you can only see my peas, beans and hops (in the pots) but there are 26 tomato plants, 3 cucumber plants, 3 zucchini plants, and a big thyme plant out there as well. Then down by the pool I have a bunch more in containers, including my tomatillos, hot peppers and a few more tomatoes.  Plus I still have a few trays of smallish plants still in peat pots, in case I need a replacement. Every time we have a cold snap I have to run out and cover everyone, or bring them inside. Then the next day I have to go out and uncover and look for damages. Plus, we didn't rig up any irrigation this year, so I have to water manually every non-rainy day, which takes the better part of an hour. Then I fret over my tomatillos, which aren't doing very well, and hope that I'll get at least enough to make one batch of salsa. Then I inspect every inch of fencing to make sure rabbits or deer aren't getting in. The I put away the hose and go take a shower, because by this time I'm filthy and sweaty. Then Fred wakes up and all of my blogging time is gone!

BUT! Now that the girls are finished with school and I won't be doing the drop-off-pick-up madness, I will have much more time during the day to tend to my green babies, so that nap time can still sometimes be blog time. Occasionally nap time will be painting time or swimming time, but I should be able to squeeze in a post here or there. 

Until harvest comes in, that is. Then I'll be busy canning and preserving!

Oh, and did I mention that next year we're getting chickens? 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

Aweome. How come the girls' school is out but not Sam's?