Thursday, January 12, 2006

Successful Re-entry

I have returned to the land of the living. It's not so bad. I'm feeling much better thanks to a powerful cocktail of benadryl and a sensory deprivation chamber. I still have some residual snottiness, but it's nothing a few sessions with a therapist can't conquer (rimshot!) Sorry, it's early.

I'm going out on my maternity leave in 13 days, only 9 of them actual working days. This is an exciting but scary prospect for me. Even though I don't really love my job, it's something I've been doing with a modest level of consistency for almost 4 years. I have a lot of friends here that I'll probably never see again. I'm sure that there are at least a few people that I will continue to have a relationship with outside of work, but then there are those work friends that will only ever be work friends. I'm also a bit sad about that fact that I'm going to stop having daily exposure to people that have really enriched my life. I have met some truly engaging people who I look forward to seeing day to day. I feel like I'm going to miss out on all the fun sometimes. On the other hand, I'm not going to have to get up at 5:10am anymore, ever, unless the offspring demands it of me. I guess that working so early has probably been good practice for getting up before dawn, so that when baby cries at six o'clock in the morning, I won't even bat an eyelash.


I'm getting to be the size of a house. When I look back at pictures of myself from, say, October, when I thought I was soooo pregnant, I just laugh and laugh! I look like I'm always going to tip to the front. I think it's starting to freak out Dr. SOB a little. Last night we were sitting on the couch and offspring was twirling away in me. I think he is going to be one of those b-boy break-dancers, because we know he is already in the proper head down position, but he is always rotating, spinning away on that tiny little head of his. You can actually see my stomach widen and narrow depending on which way he is turned. A little later, I was feeling, amorous, shall we say, but the Dr. was having none of it. He said that with the offspring such a reality at that moment, it made him feel like we would be having a threesome. The funny thing is that this is a really common effect pregnancy has on couples, but I thought that because the Dr. is in fact a doctor and has a little more scientific information about anatomy and stuff that he would be immune to these types of emotional responses. I guess seeing my body swell to twice it's normal size with the fruit of his loins is enough to deny any man of his rationality.

*Disclaimer: Dr. SOB made me promise that if I told this story, that I would clarify that he doesn't plan to abstain for the remainder of my pregnancy. He was just particularly freaked out last night. He said he would totally do me when he was drunk.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Lora said...

the baby has been a showstopper for us in the past too. dave was totally freaked when he felt the brat squirming around between the two of us. not much longer until we will be squirting breastmilk into their chest hair. that will be so hot!!