Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Freaky

I read a book! In only 10 short days! A real book. Not 'Good Night Moon' or 'Make Way For Ducklings' but a an actual book for grown ups. And it was non-fiction! Sound the trumpets, I feel like celebrating!

I just finished reading Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner and this is what I learned: we have given our son the second most common male name in the categories of 'High-End White Boy Names' and 'White Boy Names Among High-Education Parents.'

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, yes the Dr. and I are both college educated and then some, so I guess we fit the description of 'High-Education' but are we 'High-End?' If you asked my mother, she would quickly say yes. My mother has been known to describe me as 'highfalutin' at times. But if you asked Dr. SOB's mother, she might disagree. If you asked a few of Dr.'s residency friends, they might say yes, but if you ask the girls in my Stroller Strides class, they might say no.

How does one measure whether or not she is 'High-End?' This has been something I've been thinking about quite a bit recently, considering the company I've been keeping. Are we high end because we drink wine and have a flat panel TV or two? Or does the fact that we both drive small economy cars keep us out of the upper echelon? Does Dr. SOB's status as a physician gain us access to the club, or does the fact that he's a fellow and doesn't make a lot of scratch keep us out?

Secondarily, do I want to fit the description of 'High-End?' Yes, I might buy my make-up at MAC, but I only wear it once a week if I'm lucky! I get expensive hair cuts, but I rarely do anything with my hair other than brush it. This whole discussion is giving me a headache. I just don't understand why we have to be defined by our possessions and positions instead of our person. I think that is why I'm having a hard time accepting those around me here in our neighborhood. We unintentionally surrounded ourselves with people who care more about what we have than who we are.

First thing tomorrow I'm going to start looking for a new house in Little Five Points!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Pioneer Woman said...

I have the book and might start flipping through it tonight. But I don't want to have to ask myself whether I'm high end or not. I might not like the answer.

Amy Jo said...

I think your name is at the top of the 'Hot-Ass Bitches' list. If it's not, it sure as shit should be!

Amy Jo said...

Ummm, I totally thought you were Marissa until I found out that you're not. I still think you might be on that list, though!

Seriously, hope I didn't offend!

Side note: I could have just deleted that comment and re-posted something else, but I thought you all might get a kick out of me being an ass!

susan said...

L5P looks awesome... are you seriously looking at making another move? Don't worry too much about the whole high-end thing... you are so much more than the sum of your things. But that car? Ummm, yeah, please let me know when yours comes in... I'm so heading down for a ride in it!

Anonymous said...

amy!!!!! i am reading that book right now!!!!! it's funny

--carrie

Amy Jo said...

We're not going to move until our lease is up, but I'm always up for obsessing over things.

Amy Jo said...

Carrie - the book, it is good. I have taken to reading to Dr. outloud because he doesn't know how to read.

Just kidding. Or am I????