Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The End of an Era

Thanks to Mr. Jay Allen, I have decided to kill my blogroll. After reading things like this, I thought it might be a good idea to clean house a little. Also, I'm reading at least twice as many blogs as I had in my blog roll, I just never felt like updating it. With some fiddling in my Google Reader, I now have a list of posts I have recently read and enjoyed.

(Incidentally, I also learned about Google Reader from the Zero Boss, so a double thanks is headed to you. A word of advice to you blog readers out there: if you read more than five blogs, you should check this out. It is awesome.)

In other news, Sam is still sick, but in a slightly different fashion. We ended up taking him to the doctor's yesterday because the only three things he did all day were cry, sleep and nurse. Apparently, his puking virus from last week also gave him some lesions on his soft palate and in the back of his throat. These are incredibly painful. I know because I get them as well whenever I get sick. It's kind of like getting cold sores, only they are infinitely more dreadful. I usually lose several pounds when I have them because even drinking water kills. This neatly explain his complete refusal to put any solid food in his mouth. Also, since he's barely been eating, the kid hasn't pooped since Saturday morning, which I'm sure was adding to his misery. He finally went this morning, and the poor child cried the entire time. I just held him and wafted in his awful stink until it was over. He's asleep now, and he seems to be feeling a little better.

Finally, an anecdote. As Sam has gotten older and stronger, he has become, let's say, less tolerant of certain grooming rituals. Lately, he behaves as though cutting his nails causes him deep physical and emotional pain. Therefore, it's become a two man job. SOB holds him steady while I trim his tiny talons to a reasonable length. He hates it. HATES! But it's one of those things that must be done. Since he has been sick, I've been slacking on the nail trimming, but they were getting out of control. He looked like he had gotten them french tipped. (Please click on that link. I laughed my ass off!) Last night, we got everything ready for his baby manicure. SOB held him, and as I clipped the first nail, the fucking thing flew off the end of clippers and directly into my eye ball! I started shrieking and flapping my arms about wildly as SOB tried to shout advice at me while trying to keep Sam calm. I ran to the bathroom to run water over my eye, but I had left the broom and dust pan in the sink when I rinsed off the pickle juice! I ran back into the kitchen and had to flush my eye with water for five minutes before I got the damned thing out.

What a day!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the dreaded blogroll. I like other people's, but I never liked having one on my page. I opted for the single page link (which is itself linked on my sidebar) that way it doesn't get in the way...and I limited IT to about 50 blogs.

I use Bloglines...it's a feed reader too and keeps everything in a neat little bundle of folders. LOVE my Bloglines! :)

p.s. Sorry about your eye. Hope you didn't slice up anything too necessary.

Lora said...

I've been meaning to get rid of that blogroller for months.

I've never tried to clip Jake's nails while he was awake. I can't imagine what that would be like.

Amy Jo said...

I was using blogrolling, and I liked it, but so far this seems more dynamic. However, on days like yesterday when I didn't get online much, nothing was showing up. I guess I can't complain since I hadn't read anything recently!

Amy Jo said...

Lora - I used to do Sam's nails while he was sleeping, but he's become a light sleeper like his mother.

Also, if you use the google reader, they've now made it super easy to add the sidebar thing. It came out the day after I spent a couple of hours working on mine! Oh well!