Monday, February 23, 2009

Belated

I had so much recollecting I wanted to do on Sam's birthday. My poor boy was unlucky enough to end up with his birthday falling on one of the worst days I've had so far this pregnancy. Since he's three, though, he thought that the movie marathon we had while we stayed in our pj's until early afternoon was just splendid. Thank goodness for little miracles, huh? 


I look at him these days and just marvel at how he's grown. The remnants of the baby belly he still had back in the summer has been replaced with long, lean abs. He is composed of angles and limbs and flat planes. And yet he still can manage to fold himself into a pleasing little ball and squeeze himself onto my lap. He had been doing this with more and more frequency lately, and when he's all pressed up against me, he'll whisper 'I love to cuddle you' in my ear. 

He's really begun to understand more complex emotional concepts lately as well. Sometimes he'll just stop whatever he's doing to tell you that he loves you very much. Sometimes he does this when he's in trouble, too, so he's not only learning about feelings but also about manipulation as well! Either way, he's been so affectionate and sweet that it's hard some days to send him to school. 

His language development over the past twelve months practically blows my mind. At his second birthday he only used about a dozen words consistently. Now the kid speaks in paragraphs, and 90% of people can understand what he's saying. 

I know that as he gets older the changes observed in the passing of years will lessen. That the differences will be more about inches and new body hair and attitudes. So I'll try my best to sit and enjoy the little moments of three-hood while they last. I know it won't always be easy, but I'm betting most of the time it'll be fun.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

two to three was an amazing leap here too, more so with E than with her sister.

Arizaphale said...

Ah you've got awhile yet before the birthday gaps become scary again. Two to three is pretty amazing though. God I miss my three year old. Sometimes I dream about her as a three year old and tell her I miss her. How sad is that?