Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Losing It

I've never been one of those girls who has lost the baby weight because of nursing. I know several other mamas who practically melted after their babes were born, but my body seems to be programmed to hold onto weight after birth. I guess it's to protect us from starvation in case of a long winter or something. Evolutionary WIN, but pants size FAIL. Plus, breast feeding makes me absolutely ravenous. It's like, as soon as milk starts flowing, my tummy starts rumbling, and if he takes his time feeding, my fingers start looking pretty appetizing.

In the past, I've never had any major motivation to lose my baby weight by any particular time. After Sam was born we moved to Atlanta, and I was so busy packing and unpacking that dieting was the last thing on my mind. Then once Lucy was born we moved back to Philly, and again there was so much going on that I couldn't really focus on losing weight. After Maggs was born I did start going to Weight Watchers again, but then I got pregnant and, well, now here I am with a one month old and a bridesmaid dress to wear in sixteen days.

Yes, I am in a wedding at the end of this month. Talk about motivation!

My dear cousin Laura is getting hitched, and I agreed to be in the wedding before I was knocked up. I ordered my dress early in the second trimester, but I knew it would be dicey. The dresses are from J Crew, and I ordered the largest size I could, but my bust measurements were already pushing the limits. After Freddie was born, I gave myself one week before I even attempted to try on the dress.

You can probably imagine how that went.

Luckily, two weeks later, my boobs had gone from having their own gravitational field to simply humongous, and I was able to get into the dress. Not that it was comfortable or anything. And wearing a bra is pretty much out of the question, because even the thickness of the fabric makes it not fit. I took it to a few tailors to see if I could get it let out a little on top, but there isn't any extra material in the seams to give me some (literal) breathing room.

So drastic times have called for drastic measures.

I've reverted back to my pre-Sam-pregnancy eating habits, which is when I was at the thinnest I've ever been in my adult life. It's been tough, and I frequently feel like eating the coffee table seems like a delicious idea. But after only a week, I am seeing some fairly promising results. So I'm hoping that by the times this wedding rolls around, I'll be able to not only wear my bridesmaid dress, but wear it without crying.

Wish me luck!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

You have my sympathies and heart felt well wishes! Since returning to the job I love, I have been subject to the constant round of afternoon teas and 'chocolate to make us feel better' that is part of the culture of the school. The results are predictable. I have no baby to blame it on either; although I do try blaming menopause. Still, the holidays start tomorrow for me and the gym is beckoning. I will be with you in dieting spirit :-) You can do it AJ!!!