Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My Name Is Amy, and I Fear the Zombie Apocalypse

A few years ago SOB and I went to the movies. We used to go to a lot of movies before we had kids. Sometimes as often as twice a week! We saw every type of movie there was. Drama, comedy, foreign, animated, horror, etc. Then when the movie was over we would grab a bite, talk it to death, and then usually forget all about it. Seriously, there are times when we'll pop on a Netflix only to realize, five minutes in, that we've already seen it.

Sometimes, however, a film would stick in my brain. Sometimes it was because it was a truly excellent piece of cinema, or because the acting was tremendous, or just because it was hilarious.

Or because it was terrifying.

Now, let me tell you that I list among my favorite movies The Exorcist, and The Shining is on the list sometimes. I loved Poltergeist and The Blair Witch Project and Rosemary's Baby. We sing the scary operatic song from The Omen around our house for fun. So when we saw a preview for 28 Days Later, I couldn't wait to go and see it.

Nearly ten years later, I still have the occasional nightmare about this movie, and I haven't been able to watch it again, or the sequel. I was barely able to sit through Shawn of the Dead I was so traumatized. My husband desperately wants to watch The Walking Dead, and I kind of want to also, but I haven't even been able to even put it in the queue yet. So this recent spate of face eating by people on 'bath salts' being referred to as zombie attacks has got me on high alert. What if this shit turns real??? What do I need to do to prepare? How can I keep my kids from becoming zombies? Would it be nuts to build a bunker? Those are the kind of things running through my head when I can't sleep at 4am.

At least it keeps me from thinking about selling my house!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: