Monday, September 16, 2013

Back To School Update: Boy Edition


This little goofball started pre-pre-school last week. He freaking loves it, and only made a fuss when it was over. To be fair to him, the first two days were only 15 minutes long, and then the third was only 30 minutes. And he only goes on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Since it's at the same place that Maggie goes to school, we're there pretty often.  He begs to be taken to his class each and every time we drop her off or pick her up. I'm glad he likes it, but man it's a little tough literally dragging/carrying him out of the building while he cries and scream, "NO! I GO TO SCHOOL TOOOOOOOOOOO!" On second day I was in the classroom with him, and he just randomly started counting and didn't stop until he reached 23. And then he correctly identified all of the colors of the cubbies. When he saw that his cubby was yellow, he looked up at his teacher and said, clear as a bell, "I love my yellow cubby. Yellow is my favorite color you know." She looked at me with a shocked expression and I just threw my hands up and laughed. What could I say? "Here is my adorable son who apparently happens to be a genius. But be careful, because sometimes he bites." 


This one? Surprises me more each and every day. After all of our struggles last year, Sam had a really hard time mentally preparing to go back to school. He cried a lot the night before the first day, and the morning of as well. He was so convinced that his problems from last year were going to following him into the second grade. One of the school's support team teachers came to see him on the first day, and that sent him into a tailspin because he associated her with being in trouble. Luckily, his teacher picked up on this, and had a little talk with him on day two about fresh starts and getting to know one another. After that, he was like a new kid. He even told me on Friday that he likes school again. He has some really nice kids in his class, and some kids from hockey are in there, too, so his social world is expanding. And his classroom behavior has improved a lot as well. He isn't perfect, but he's trying. Last week at pickup, his teacher asked me if I got her message. My heart started pounding because my history with calls from the teacher have never been pleasant. Luckily, this was a good news situation. She just wanted to touch base with me and let me know how well things were going. I was so relieved/happy that I almost cried right there on the spot. 

How is your school year going so far? 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: