Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I Do Run Run

Over the summer I decided that I was going to take a stab at running. When Sam was going to hockey camp, I was stuck at the rink for three hours, and there was a track there. I love watching my son play hockey, but drills get boring after a time, so the change of scenery was welcome. But running in circles was boring, too. I brought some music, though, and it wasn't so terrible. Once camps were over, I didn't make much effort to keep up with running. Summer was nuts, and since school started things have been even more nuts. I didn't have the mental energy for a new exercise routine.


But a month ago I decided to re-commit myself to losing weight. I started going back to weight watchers meetings and decided that now was the time to try running in my neighborhood. I consulted with my sister-in-law, who is an avid runner, and hit the sidewalks. I have a few hours a few days a week when all four kids are in school, so I try and get a run in one of those days. I also try and get a run in one day on the weekend. Two days a week is all I'm aiming for right now, with my regularly scheduled elliptical/weight lifting exercise routine on the other days. 

So far, I'm kind of liking it. Even thought I did fall on my very first run. Luckily, I knew I was going to fall, and I managed to maneuver myself so that I fell into the grass instead of on the sidewalk or road. Of course, I was on a fairly busy road, and at least 132 cars slowed down to watch me fall. The positive side of my brain says they were slowing down to make sure I wasn't hurt. The evil side of my brain says they were slowing down to watch and laugh. And the next time I went out I got crazily lost less than a mile from my own freaking house. BUT! I didn't quit, and that is the take home message I'm choosing to embrace.

I'll be out tomorrow, so if you happen to be driving through the south hills of Pittsburgh and see a girl who looks hopelessly lost or has fallen on her face, stop and say, 'Hi Amy!' 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

Wish I could find the motivation. You're looking great. It's obviously paying off...