Friday, January 26, 2007

And There Was Much Snuggling

At ten of seven this morning my baby cried for me. When I pulled him from his bed in the semi-darkness, he was wet and sticky. Panicking, I groped for the light only to find him and his bed Pollock-ed in cherry colored vomit.

It has continued for most of the day. He'll puke, then be fine for a little while. Then he get ravenous, eats and then pukes again. Luckily, he seems to be holding fluids down alright. In those moments after he pukes, he gets very playful, and then after about fifteen minutes he crashes. For example:

He wanted to play so badly, but he tuckered out after only a few minutes. We've spent most of the day cuddling on the couch watching Sesame Street in an endless loop, changing clothes quite often. For a while, I turned the heat up and just let him go shirtless.

Fortunately, I found a way to make this situation worse, and more humorous at the same time! As a first time mother, there are things I still have yet to learn. Things like when your child is on the hardwood floor and begins to vomit, DO NOT pick him up and try to console him until he is totally finished. Natural mothering instincts will kick in and you will want to pick your baby up, but trust me on this one. It is much better to rub his little back and coo to him while he pukes on the easy-to-clean hardwood than it is to whisk him into your arms as he spews vomit in a huge arc all over your dvd player, your friend's birthday card you should have mailed a week ago and your carpet. Not to mention yourself.

Now will someone come over and cuddle me?

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Anonymous said...

Jake has the same exact thing, only his vomit was pink and started around 11:30 PM last night. Many outfits and one bad bit with a poopie blowout. He's only taking Pedialite through a syringe and some GOLDFISH crackers for food. Poor little guys.

You reckon the Atlanta Zoo and that damn baby panda got our youngins sick?

susan said...

Oh, that sucks. Hope you're all better soon!

Amy Jo said...

Thanks, guys! Luckily, it seemed to be a 24 hour thing. There was no more puking by saturday, but he's been a little slow to get back to eating normally. We're sticking to bland so far. Toast and oatmeal, mostly, but I think my gram gave him a cookie!

How's Jake doing, Mr. Mayor?

Christie said...

Thanks for the great tidbit I would never have figured out until it were to happen...(don't pick up a child puking!!) Just cruising checking out new blogs.

Amy Jo said...

Glad to be of service, Christie! It's the little things that often don't occur to me until it's too late. If I can save just one other person from a similar situation, I consider it a good day!