Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Hard Habit To Break

Over the past few weeks I've come to a realization that is altogether shocking and even a little painful to admit. 


I want another baby.

I dream about newborns. I'm sad every month when I get my period. I saw a mother at Target yesterday with a boy so small, he couldn't have been more than two weeks old. As soon as I heard his newborn cry the front of my shirt was soaked. That isn't supposed to happen anymore! I'm thinking about weaning for crissakes! 

It doesn't help that I've been seeing babies everywhere in the blogsphere. First the Pioneer Woman's sister had a delicious little boy. Then just today the dear Mrs. Chicken gave birth to another lovely little boy. Even Blogger is throwing pictures of adorable little babies in my face every time I log in. 

The main problem with this new found desire of mine is that SOB has come to his own realization lately, and guess what? He's all but certain he doesn't want any more kids. Strike that. He's certain, or so he says.

So what's a girl to do? The subject, naturally, comes up. Most of the time we make a joke and kind of sweep it under the rug. Both of us know that one of us is going to have to cave. Make a sacrifice. It's likely to be me, honestly. The realistic side of me knows that another baby isn't the best idea in regards to, you know, our general happiness in the short term future.

It's the long term outlook that gives me pause.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Linda said...

I have had this debate with many a couple... my thoughts are this...if one of a couple wants another one they should always just go for it, cause the other who doesn't will end up loving the baby anyway and forget they didn't want anther one, cause that's just how parenthood is and the other will be happy and fullfilled, but if the one who wants one caves and doesn't have another that person will always regret it and may never get over it. Sorry for the rambling...just finished a 12 hour shift of screaming sick kids...

Linda said...

OHHHH YEAH and a quote from Jon and Kate plus eight...I know pathetic..."I just wanted one more and we got six more"..hope that doesn't happen to you should you decide for 'just one more'...

Stacy said...

I yearn for a newborn, too, but my practical side knows that two is the right number for us. That...and my hubby had a vasectomy on A's 2nd birthday. I think we're done. ;)

Arizaphale said...

At 44 when I met Himself, I still yearned for my second baby. Right up until the night I took our 7 and 10 year olds to the restaurant together. I decided that night I was too old for another one.
Will watch this space with interest. Most people I know who've struggled with this issue have no 3 and find that he/she is the most special of them all......

Tracey said...

I feel exactly the same as you and my husband as yours. For us, it doesn't play into my DH's financial "plan" and then also, my kids (1 boy, 1 girl like you) would have to share a room, which I realize has been done for ages. It would be starting all over again, but what happens to that yearning feeling? Does it just go away?