Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Five Going On Fifteen

So my boy turned five on Sunday. Which was kind of a big deal, for both of us. However, along with his increase in age, we've been experiencing an increase in attitude. I think it might have more to do with the events than it does the age, because we had a similar issue around Christmas. It seems as if, when he knows there is going to be a big celebration and he's going to get a lot of attention/presents/candy/etc., he can't properly manage his excitement. The manifestation of this mismanaged emotion is often erratic and nasty behavior. We get lots of backtalk, lots of aggression against Lucy (and sometimes his classmates) and loads of general wildness. Throw into the mix that we had a few days of glorious weather last week that allowed us to spend great quantities of time outside, and now we're back to being cooped up due to ice and snow, and you've got the perfect storm for a rotten, if not adorable, five year old boy.

Photobucket

I know that by next week he'll probably be back to normal, so I'm just trying to keep my wits about me while keeping his behavior in check. Because it feels like just yesterday I was able to cradle this boy in my arms, and I know that the next five years will slip by in the blink of a eye. I don't want to spend them being annoyed with him.

Photobucket

And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to spend them locked in his room.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

aww! happy birthday! (i feel the same way about my girl, who just turned 8 on monday. i feel like the next 8 years are going to be even harder!)