Wednesday, April 17, 2013

This Post Was Brought To You By the Letters, P, M and S

When I was 16 years old I went on birth control pills. I wasn't a girl with loose morals or anything, but I was spending the summer away at governor's school, and my mother though it might be wise. Something about lots of pregnant brides in our family and whatnot. My first gynecologist was a man that sounded like a woman. It was awesome. Later on he recommended me to the college I ended up attending, so everything worked out.

Ten years later, I went off of the birth control pills and got pregnant with Sam a mere two months later. For the next 6 years I was either pregnant or nursing, except for a brief period of time between Lucy and Maggie. Finally, Fred was born and I didn't get pregnant again. I got an IUD instead of going back on the pill because I was nursing. Two years later, I've (almost completely) stopped nursing him and my hormones are making me crazy!

Every month during my ovulation I get either completely and ridiculously happy, or utterly depressed. But it's anybody's guess which one it will be. Then, during my pms time, which seems to be quite a bit longer than it used to be, I am nearly inconsolable. And if anything goes wrong during this time, I go really haywire.

Since we got back from Miami I've been trying to keep from nursing Fred for really real, which is making the hormonal things even worse. Last week I was pms-ing in addition to not nursing, and then Sam got into a fight at school and was suspended. (That's another post, but I'm not even sure I want to get into it.)

I. Was. Despondent.

I would just stop what I was doing, sit on the floor, and ugly cry like a baby. And then on a dime I would get irrationally angry at whoever was around and become a total bitch to that person. And then I was crying again. Etc.

Finally, SOB calmed me down enough to sit and speak rationally, mostly. We decided that since I'm no longer nursing Fred (so much) that I should be able to go back on regular old birth control pills. This way I can keep my hormones in check while still (hopefully) not getting pregnant.

Wish me luck!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Arizaphale said...

Hey guess what. You get to do it all over again when you go through menopause. With hot flushes. Sometimes it sucks being a girl. Good luck!