Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Happy Cameraversary

See what I did there? I invented a new word! (Or so I thought. Damn google.)


Five years ago I got my hands on my very first DSLR camera. My Rebel XTi. We had just moved to Atlanta, and in my loneliness I rationalized this expensive thing that we couldn't really afford as a necessity. Something in my life was lacking, and I thought this camera would help fill the void. Little did I know that filling the void with a camera with an interchangeable lens system would lead to more and more voids to fill!

For almost two years I shot in total automatic mode, letting my camera make all the decisions for me. There were plenty of shots that I loved, but for each one I'm sure there were at least ten that I missed. After a while I decided that I needed to learn how to use the damn thing. I bought a new lens and got to work reading my manual.

Once I had dipped my toe into the infinite lake of lenses, there was no going back. I plunged in head first. The 50mm came into my life when I was pregnant with Maggie, and then during Freddie's gestation I got my 7D, which came with an awesome 28-135mm lens. And I just got a lovely 28mm f/1.8 lens that I'm in love with right now.

I'm in the process of setting up my home studio, too. Hopefully by early fall I will become an actual business, with a name and number and website, too!

I've learned so much in five years, and I know that in five years I'll look back and think, 'god, I didn't know anything back then!' I can only hope that future me will be as happy and fulfilled with this hobby-slash-obsession-slash-hopefully-profession as present me is.

I can't think of a better way to end this post than with some photos!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

susan said...

Love, love, LOVE the father-son bonding shot! Can't wait to see what else comes out of your studio and your amazingly artistic eye. I still think that the pics you took of Sam and Aaron on the steps of the Art Museum (Museum of Art?) in Philly were better than the ones we paid to have done. Slightly, but if that's what you can do "unskilled"? Wow. There are some very lucky clients in your future!!!

Chrissie said...

Congrats on your cameraversary, and all your good news with getting the studio set up, etc. You're amazing!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.